DCIC Institutional Mandate
The Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control is established by the Uganda Citizenship and Immigration Control Act, 2006. Section 8 of the Uganda Citizenship and Immigration Control Act, Chapter 66 of the Laws of Uganda, established the Office of Commissioner for Immigration to function as the Secretariat of the National Citizenship and Immigration Control Board (NCIB), which was established by Article 16 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda, 1995. The Act of 2006 amended Cap 66 to transform the Office of Commissioner for Immigration established by that Act into the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control.
Functions of the Directorate
As the Secretariat of the Board, the Directorate is responsible for implementing the decisions of the Board and assisting the Board to carry out the following functions::
- issuing Uganda passports and other travel documents;
- granting and cancelling citizenship by registration and naturalisation;
- granting and cancelling immigration permits;
- determining any questions which may arise in the implementation of the Act or any questions which may be referred to it by the Minister;
- performing such other functions as may be assigned to it by or under the Act or any other enactment; and
- performing any other function determined by the Minister.
The Directorate is therefore responsible for implementing and enforcing the Uganda Citizenship and Immigration Control Act and related immigration laws and policies adopted by the Board and the Government of Uganda.
The Directorate is headed by the Director for Citizenship and Immigration Control and comprises of three major departments each headed by a Commissioner.
Department of Immigration Control: The Department of Immigration control is headed by Col. Geoffrey Brian Kambere. It's responsible for border management and issuance of immigration facilities to foreign nationals seeking to work and reside in Uganda.
Department of Citizenship and Passports Control: The Department of Citizenship and Passports Control is headed by Brig. Johnson Namanya Abaho. It's responsible for verification and processing of Uganda Citizenship as well as the administration of national travel documents
Department of Inspection and Legal services: The Department of Inspection and Legal services is headed by Dr. Josephine Ekwang Ali. It's responsible for legal advisory services, inspection, investigations, prosecution and removal of undesirable immigrants from Uganda.
- Border management (facilitation and regulation)
- Processing and issuing of visas, passes and residence Permits
- Processing and issuing national and regional travel documents
- Inspection, investigation prosecution and removal of illegal immigrants
- Verifying and processing Ugandan citizenship
- Collection of Non Tax Revenue.